Sunday, December 11, 2005

Angi asks: What can I use in place of sugar in standard baking recipes and what are the exchanges? I do not like fake sugar - I'm looking for things like bananas, applesauce, etc. but because there is a moisture difference, I don't know the exchange. Like 1c sugar = ?? applesauce.

Unfortunately, applesauce is generally a fat substitute (exchanging for oil, etc), not a sugar substitute. Here's an expert Q&A that discusses applesauce as a substitute:
http://experts.about.com/q/3205/2623715.htm

Here's an overview of things that can be substituted for sugar, but most of them are just some other variety of sugar:
http://www.foodsubs.com/Sweeten.html#fructose
Hopefully, some of the ideas in that list will work with some of your recipes.

Here's a good article about the different types of sugars:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09301.html

Generally, it doesn't look like there are easy ways to convert a recipe into a sugar-free one (without using artificial sweeteners). Your best bets seem to be reducing the sugar in recipes or looking for recipes that start out sugar-free. Most recipes, you can safely reduce the sugar up to 1/3 without otherwise altering it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx!! Some great ideas and not the sites I was finding when I was looking. I don't need to eliminate it, although I'd like to, but I found some good options on making recipe modifications which you know I love to do :)

Thanx!!

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home