Monday, November 21, 2005

Daun asks: How do I create links in my sidebar for things like “100 Things About Me” so that I don’t have to post a large item like that on my front page?

It's a little trick that I've been using on Cindy's Place for a while now... Here's how to do it:

  • Write a post normally.
  • At the bottom of the post, change the date to something old. I would suggest changing it to some date during the first month you posted on your blog. (If you put it in another month, you'll get another month in your archives and that'll look weird.) So, for you, change it to something like 10/1/05. (Mine are all date 9/1/04 because that was the first month for me.)
  • Publish the post.
  • Go find the post in your archives.
  • Get the address of the individual post page. The easiest way to do this is to click on the time that the post was posted (next to where it says how many comments it has).
  • Then just make a link to this page in your sidebar. It looks like you know how to do that because you have links to your "features" already. You might also want to write a post with a link to that page in it... to let people know it's there.

Let me know if it works!

2 Comments:

Blogger utenzi said...

That's very good advice, Cindy. That's what I do for photos I want to link to but don't want to put in my main body.

11:50 PM  
Blogger BirdMadGirl said...

Thanks for the help :) I'm only on item #32 so it may be a while before I put your advice to use. I'm sure I won't have any problems with it - you are very good at explaining things :)

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home